On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Iznogoud <iznogoud at nobelware.com> wrote:

> > I have this simple enclosure for home server use, in case it solves what
> > you are looking for:
> > https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681613
> 2037&cm_re=rosewill_hot_swap_cage-_-16-132-037-_-Product
> >

> Thanks for pointing this out. I will seriously consider something like
> this,
> but it will most likely have to be a dedicated system with many more
> drives.

I find it's a nice cage for in or out of case use.  I have 4 drives for
RAID, so good match.

I am also interested to hear what people do on the software side, which I
> think
> is more important. I am a huge supported of software RAID and ZFS.

I've been running Linux software RAID for many years and it's treated me
very well for my primary home server.

> And all of
> this is great, but hardware will fail, and for that you need some kind of
> backup (to tape, which is the best way we have found).
>
> It gets expensive very quickly.

For backups, also for many years I ran BackupPC based on Greg (on this
list's) suggestion; nice product, worked well.  I've reduced home servers
and a few years ago I switched all home backup to cloud (CrashPlan).