I use the Hangouts plugin for Chrome, but I just checked if it was an
option within the gmail interface and it is!  You just have to create a
conversation with a contact and then click the SMS icon at the top of the
conversation.  At some point a year ago or so, they tried to clumsely merge
Hangouts and SMS conversations.  I actually preferred it when they were
merged, but it looks like they rolled that back now.  *shrugs*  In any
case, hope that helps!

[image: Capture.PNG]