This probably isn't helpful. But I'm just delighted to see another IceWM
user so here's my 2 cents.

My most modern machine is Intel Core Duo running 32 bit Opensuse. I
prefer the 12.2 opensuse because khelpcenter still works, and doesn't on
12.3 to 13.2. Anyway I don't have a clue about SSH or VNC or compiz. But
using some old Xforms (libforms) programs once built on opensuse 12.2
and a pentium4 single core, I have noticed great improvement in some
timer graphics programs when using the mouse on a dual core CPU. The
scheduler does seem to separate running programs from mouse events on
separate cores. Using the mouse on a single core CPU definitely messed
up timing and Xlib graphics. I run this on IceWM because it is almost
directly Xlib rendering.

Using the kde4 system monitor (ksysguard), processes and resources are
properly displayed for both CPU cores. And I sure don't see any compiz
running. It works on my IceWM desktop. Might be worth a try.