Iznogoud  writes:

>> I've installed Linux Mint on an Acer Travelmate laptop and am
>> having trouble getting the wireless stuff working.
>>
>> iwconfig says the access point is not associated.
>>
>> lspci says this:
>>
>> 01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev bb)
>>     Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-N 7260
>>
>> dmesg says link is not ready.  It seem like I've had a similar
>> problem at least once before and that I might have been able
>> to get it fixed one time.  But I am not sure what to do next.
>
> There is most likely a module for hte wireless ethernet device 9card or
> itnernal) that has to be loaded. Some "bleeding edge" drivers are not yet
> in the kernel, depending on the age of the hardware and how popular it was
> in terms of volume sold. What we used to do is use "ndiswarpper" which is
> exactly that. an NDIS wrapper, to use drivers that come straight from
> Windows. You typically build the ndiswrapper with the drivers for the
device
> you have. Look it up.

I wound up installing True OS  -- trueos.org -- and things are
working, including the wireless.

The Linux Mint install encrypted the hard drive.  I don't think
I have that with True OS.   That encryption may have helped in
terms of browsing/popups.  Does that ring any bells?    Tia.

--
Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - In G-d we trust.