Need wifi setup or management parameter help..

Some blind folk at Cherrywood Pointe  (senior living)  in Savage have tech
support from MN Services for the Blind for Dragon (and related) screen
reading software which needs internet to function properly.    Cherrywood is
an Ebenezer managed facility with about 70 "independent living" residents
who are cabalbe and typically affluent (rent is quite high).  Wifi is
included in rent.  The wifi connection is erratic, and at such low speed
that the software doesn't work.  I'm trying to help identify the problems so
thet can be fixed.   "Bandaids" used before have not worked.

 What is a typical building setup?  My info is only approximate now.
Centurylink has a "big" fiber-optic feed to the equipment room.
Cherrywood/Ebenezer equipment in the "communications room" converts to wire
distribution.  There is a "building router" that has multiple "CAT5" feeds
that support offices and 3 pairs of access points that distribute wifi in
the facility .

All I need to know is basic bandwidth and connection info: I do not need to
know anything private, and do not seek any actual admin access.

What is  a likely building router make and model?
What is  a likely wifi access point make and model?

Are there typical bandwidth or speed restrictions affecting residents and
guests?
The connection speed of the 802.11g/n  links is usually only 11MHz, and
only once in a while 54MHz.
The internet speed is usually only about 1.5 mb/sec,  and  occasionally 3
mb/sec  or so.

Those numbers seem far below a typical "wifi hotspot" connection.   I've
never experienced such bad connections as these.  What does a typical
hotspot like a Dunn Bros coffee shop offer?

Please assist as you can.

Chuck Cole