On 11/15 10:23 , Andrew Lunn wrote:
> And that is the other part of the Netiquette which 99% people of seem
> to of never learned. You are supposed to trim the emails to only what
> is relevant for your reply.

Exactly. Time is precious, and forcing someone to wade through unnecessary
text wastes their time. If you believe as I do that there is only a
difference of degree between depriving a person of an hour of their life,
and depriving them of the entirety of the remainder of their life, then
wasting someone's time is in a very small degree murder, and thus morally
wrong. (We may argue that this is mitigated by their choice to read what the
writer has spewed, but I still hold that it is wrong to waste someone's time).

One of the things I find most offensive about Microsoft products is how much
they require the user to scroll around the output fields and resize columns
just to see the entirety of the output. Consider this the next time you have
to set up a printer under Windows, and scroll through a very long list of
printers using a window only a few lines high. It would be far faster to
maximize the window and pageup/pagedown, or grab a larger scrollbar. The
time of millions of users wasted in aggreggate over the last 20 years by
this malformed dialog box probably amounts to several human lifetimes.

Linux-based applications are often better about this, but sometimes not...
--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator