This may be too little to late.  In the long term care facility I work
at in northern MN we have a contract with a company that leaves us a
container that is approx 10 gallons or so.  All of our discontinued meds
that are in a solid or semi solid form are placed in the container which
is collected periodically  and then incinerated.  The meds that are
liquid in form are still destroyed via sewer.  No recycling is done that
I am aware of, and that has something to do with a contract that the
local pharmacy has with the insurance companies if I recall correctly.
RS