On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 3:03 PM, gregrwm <tclug1 at whitleymott.net> wrote:

> booting a centos7 cd displays a blank white screen via serial.  perhaps the
> centos7 cd doesn't handle booting a serial console?  or perhaps it does with
> some special interaction?  anyone know?

You need to pass serial parameters to the kernel at boot time.  There
should be docs out there on doing this.
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ch-Boot-x86.html#s2-x86-starting-bootopts

That's for 6, but I would imagine the process is similar for 7.

> or perhaps it would be less of a waste of time to install some other
> distribution whose install cd just works via serial.  does ubuntu?  or
> something else?

I found this howto when I needed to install Debian 8 to a serial only
system.  Worked like a charm.
http://pcengines.info/forums/?page=post&id=51C5DE97-2D0E-40E9-BFF7-7F7FE30E18FE

Brian