I should say that un-graceful shutdowns can corrupt the filesystem and should
be avoided. I'd connect to the laptop from a different machine and issue a
proper 'halt' or 'showdown now' to make it graceful.

Speaking of connecting to it, can you connect and make sure you check all logs
to see if any process has given any faults? In my experience, laptops have
hardware that is peculiar (by trying to be "smart") and drivers may well fail
in strange ways. Try "ALT+F1" (F1-F4 or so) to see if you can get a console
before giving up on the keyboard. You may have to configure SSHD properly in
order to connect form the outside (not sure what Mint has as a default config).

Disable the screensaver entirely and see how it behaves. Does it go into some
hibernation mode and when you wake it up it is upset or is it just happening
when you go to screensaver mode?

The best thing about BSD is that it is distributed fro ma single source as the
FreeBSD that we all (maybe) know. The worst thing about BSD is that it is not
as popular as Linux, but Apple is making it a lot easier for BSDers right now.
I used to run NetBSD in the 90s. I would say stick to Linux if you are not a
real Unix poweruser.