i have my opening statement done. it may be a bit overconfident/smug or
not. i have to be careful with my head injuries to not just say the first
thing that comes to into my head. i would like to put  up a website using
something like hostinger to document the process to assist others who may
have the same opportunity that i have been provided with.

   Let me start by saying that in a way, I am an educator. I started a
nonprofit 501c3 to give native cultures in the western hemisphere access to
education, technology, and commerce. We started a diabetes awareness
program for which we had booths set up at places such as The Science Museum
of Minnesota. There is also a syndicated radio show named Indigenous in
Music that was formed from this project that was set up and designed by me.
(Currently being made weekly using the same setup I made, but done by a 15
year old Native American boy with remarkable quality.)

At the chamber of commerce, IICOC (Indigenous Internet Chamber of
Commerce), I received donated computers, mostly used, and would DBAN the
hard drives to completely remove the previous contents and install a
variety of different operating systems on them such as Microsoft Windows,
Mac, FreeBSD, but mostly Linux. Most of our volunteers were unfamiliar with
computers.

Eventually the people who had been accessing the Windows machines would go
onto a Linux machine. I would frequently hear, where is this specific
program? When my learning Linux volunteers would switch to Windows they
would ask, where is this specific option; as most of them had moved from
computer to computer on the different distributions I had choose to install
of Linux as our main operating systems they had used different programs
already to do the same thing. For example Open Office and ABI Word, Star
Office, Libre Office, etc. all do the same thing INCLUDING that which
Microsoft Word/Office have to offer.

It seems as though closed source systems like Apple and Windows provide, as
an example, frequently will not offer the options that Open Source software
offers. Part of the reason for this is financial. Microsoft Corporation
pays many people in order to bring you Microsoft Windows and its related
products and adhere to budgets put in place; limiting the options that many
people may want/need. If the source code is open source it provides a means
for these people to add the options. Then if the choose to offer them to
the community they can merge it upstream in the next software release;
which happens many times faster than Microsoft offers (sometimes daily
instead of every few years as in Microsoft Office), while providing the
flexibility to use the same software on almost every platform imaginable
including Microsoft Windows. Bill Gates would have a hard time with all of
his money we gave him to do the same thing that an open source community
can do in a very short amount of time. If this doesn’t make sense to you or
you feel I am wrong, I encourage you to spend some time and look around.
You need to understand that most of what you see is running Linux. Your
smart TV’s, your cable box, your android phone, wireless access points,
printers, modern ATM machines, most web services, drones, mail sorting
machines, most electronic medical equipment, ………………… Keep looking around
and investigate the influence or complete use of open source in it. It is
everywhere, and as educators you really need to understand that in real
life people will be using Linux and other open source software in their
daily lives; which translates to jobs.

>From organizational structure, to the people who freely give, providing us
with the many different communities, open source is what made most
everything we see today. Open source is a very welcoming educational, and
transparent way for everyone who wants to become involved in every single
aspect of designing, building, and/or using software and hardware that is
available; or that they have dreamed up, providing us with innovation and
change in ways that a small group of executives with access to code and
schematics may never have.

Open source has been around since the very beginning of computing whether
it was through collaboration of different entities or under the somewhat
specific name of open source, and will continue to provide people with the
opportunity to use this information to learn about how the world works
around them; and if you so desire to build a closed source business with
it, as the licensing provides people with this and many many opportunities
to use it however they can imagine. Microsoft and Apple both provide the
open source community with philanthropy and code; on occasion. Many
commercial enterprises offer support including financial to the open source
communities on an ongoing basis; frequently because their business was
built using open source hardware and software. There are companies who
offer support to the end users of said communities as well as a very large
number of people available at any time to answer questions freely and with
passion. There is a symbiotic relationship between the 2 (open and closed
source) and to ignore the open source community and Linux is an act of
ignorance at this point in my speech. To avoid research and use of these
technologies in an education environment, other than universities who
already incorporate and innovate these technologies, would be a choice I
hope no one listening to this or reading this after my speech will make.

It should be noted that our government is the primary funder and founder of
these open source projects and brought us modern day computing as we know
it. This is not a business exclusive relationship, but one that crosses
international, cultural, and civil borders and is comprised of educational,
business, government, and civilian peoples from every walk of life with
varying interests and goals united together.

none of this needs to be in here, it is only my first draft. i can scrap it
and start over as i often do.

i am open to all criticisms as this is important to the other kids in the
school out here (potentially other schools); my kids will have plenty of
skills regardless of any end results.

*This is so fun!*