Just a thought....

Has anyone looked into Sling TV or Playstation Vue?

http://sling.tv/

and

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/

Not exactly Linux friendly, but Sling TV especially works on a lot of
different platforms.

Also, don't forget there is over the air TV aka TV antenna.

Roku, Fire TV, or Android TV (ie Nexus Players) also offers a lot of
good streaming content.

Those are my thoughts.

I hope it helps.

Thanks,