It's absolutely dependent on what you're trying to do with the database.

For example, if I'm trying to write a program to store information, the
interaction will mostly be in a Perl/PHP/Python program.

If I'm using MythTV, or Wordpress, I'll be using, well. MythTV or
Wordpress.

On occasion I'll use the CLI 'mysql' prorgram to fix small things, or a
GUI frontend if MythTV has some bugs I need to go in and fix manually.

This is the case regardless of OS. It's all about what you need to do.