I had a similar experience but having to do with fees connected to my moving from one address to another. After 8 or 9 phone calls and still not getting service activated on the scheduled move in date (or even the next couple of days) I did get a fee that we had agreed to beforehand would not happen. After numerous more calls and lots of them arguing they had no record of any such agreement (the supervisor I had spoken to before the move claimed there would be a note on my account) I was finally fed up. I told them, "I know you record all phone calls so I demand you dig up all of the calls with me on these dates." I proceeded to give them the multiple dates I had logged my phone calls on. They reluctantly agreed to do this but said it could take up to a couple of days to do. The next morning (or maybe it was even later that same day) they called me back and decided it was easier and likely way cheaper to just refund me all of the fees and other crap they tacked onto my account, including a new modem rental that I specifically told them I don't want. I said, "if you want the modem back you better provide me a shipping label or else send someone to come get it at my convenience."  They eventually caved on all points.
At this point my plan is to never make any changes with them as they always screw something up on every change.
This is, by far, superior to my experiences with Comcast who are now forbidden from ever attaching their network to my house (TV and internet both).
Sigh... At least I can run Linux and stuff and have been windows free on my laptops and workstations for a long time now. Dealing with windows is like dealing with CenturyLink, you have to pay an extra hidden fee that is just waiting to give you a bad day, seemingly on purpose.
Still running Linux Mint on my laptop and workstation to much satisfaction.

I fought with Century Link over the FTTN speeds and refused to pay a penny after the first weekend when only their speed test met the speed expectations.
I got my $250 back for the installation.
Twice.
It helps to argue and work on breach of contract to get them to abide by the agreement.