I've also found nothing in settings.  There is an extension, but it also
changes the image position from center to upper-left.  I want it centered.

In the firefox-48.0/toolkit/themes/windows/global/media directory I
simply copied imagedoc-lightnoise.png to imagedoc-darknoise.png and
compiled using Beyond Linux From Scratch documentation.

    http://linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/xsoft/firefox.html

I'm new at compiling Firefox and perhaps there's a better way, but it
fixed the problem.  I know it's subjective, but I really dislike the
default black background and it's now white.