I'm trying to compile a linux kernel that is simpler than the
distribution version (using old opensuse 12.2 on an intel p4 mobo). I'm
able to use the tools and documentation, and have compiled and installed
some variant of the default opensuse download. However, I didn't get it
to run the simple standard PC. It seems the grub2 bootloader is another
learning process.

I did this years ago on simpler pentium machines with lilo bootloader.
But going through all the new configuration options and actual
compilation literally takes days. From what I can understand, the
"vanilla" linux kernel now supports technology I didn't know existed.

I'm not sure I know how to get back to basic computing anymore. Just
wondering if others have tried and succeeded slimming the kernel down,
and any tips??