Thanks. I'm an old, old Biophysicist. And before the Supercomputer
building there was a wooden army barracks building on the site called
Temporary North Court Engineering. Prof. Otto Schmitt and his lovely
wife ran the place as the "Biophysics Dept." He invented digital
electronics copying nerve electronics, and had tons of refrigeration
equipment cooling more tube computer gear, etc. that over-filled the
building. When they were going to tear the building down for the
supercomputer building they had a large front end loader bucket in
Otto's second floor office window so he got the message.

I had worked night guard downtown St. Paul, NWBell and they said it
might be a terrorist target. Didn't know what a terrorist was, but the 7
floors of tangled wires and sparking switches would have been hard to
replace. So we shifted gears and pushed fiber optic microcomputer
networking from abandoned Lowertown, St. Paul. At a meeting of some
wonderful people, I provided a printout of drawn electro-optic
properties of protein liquid crystal structures. I was a beta tester for
Microsoft QDraw.

I have a lot of stories like that. During those early days, I think
Marks Dayton was Commissioner of Economic Development. Don't count on
good guys from government.

So I don't know how to start-up beginners in Linux.

My efforts now are pointing out all the new CO2 in the air is making
plants grow much faster. So the optical biophysics using solar energy to
make biofuels and biochar is interesting to some. Instrumentation is
again critical. Surprisingly, RS232 works better in newer linux kernels.