On Fri, 4 Sep 2015, Jeff Chapin wrote:

> The script would take a little tweaking, but it could work.
>
> I, personally, know that I would get lazy at some point and fail to swap
> the drives for months on end.

That could happen, but at least the drive is backed up to its attached
external drive.

> I would consider taking one of the drives to both locations, and getting
> an initial backup of each location, and then mirroring that to the other
> drive

That part sounds OK, but...

> -- and then have both locations back up to both drives.

Do you mean that I should do backups over the internet?  If so, I don't
think I want to do that because of the bandwidth.

> Alternatively, you could backup both drives to the local drive, and then
> mirror the two drives (you could do hourly local backups, and nightly
> remote copies). Since rsync only transfers the differences, once you
> have the initial backup, it's likely that each day's change is fairly
> small. If you use the flag to make rsync aware of the hardlinks, you
> could presumably replicate a full copy of the day's hourly backups
> fairly quickly.

It is starting to get complicated!  I love the idea of doing really cool,
cutting-edge things, but I've been learning that it can take too much time
away from other stuff I want to do.

Maybe I can start out like you said -- back up to one, mirror to the other
-- then just skip the time machine and do ordinary updates to the attached
drive...

rsync -av --update --delete /home /usr/local /etc /var /opt /media/me/back

...but also at least see if backing up also to the remote location is
feasible:

rsync -av --update --delete /home /usr/local /etc /var /opt remote:/media/me/back

The script would have to have a way of checking for the existence of the
attached hard drive both locally and remotely.

Would it be a lot more work to add in the "time machine" functionality?

Mike