On 2015-10-27 11:16, Wakefield, Thad M. wrote:
> This seems like it should be easy. So I'm suspecting my internet
> search skills are deficient.
>
> I have a text file with escaped Unicode that I want to convert to plain
> text.
>
> From:  Why We\u2019re in a New Gilded Age
> To:      Why We're in a New Gilded Age

Google search "convert unicode to ascii". You'll see some answers.
However, do you really want to do this? Quotes are the smallest issue.
There are also letters with diacritical marks on them (which do have an
obvious translation to ascii),
and character sets that do not have any translation to ascii. What do
you expect to happen to those?

John