The thing that concerns me is that I might go through all of those steps
and find that it doesn't support ISO files.  I suspect that the system you
found there only supports video files.  Here's a list of file extensions
that the iOS version of VLC supports:

http://www.file-extensions.org/vlc-for-ios-file-extensions

If that's right, ISO isn't on the list.  I suspect that I'd get to the
part of the installation that says "Locate the video file you want to play
and tap 'Watch' to start it" and my ISO files wouldn't be there.  Or, if
they were there, I'd have the same problem I had with http.

Mike