Plex media server. Not sure about ISO support for that though. I backed up 100+ DVDs (thanks handbrake). It works well for when Netflix/ISP is down or for personal video playback. I've downloaded the occasional youtube video and stored that too.
I also got a plex pass subscription to have multi user support so I have a guest account that only has access to kid friendly DVDs and personal media recordings.
It works with Web browsers, mobile device apps (android and apple), my roku, and probably other devices too.

-------- Original message --------
From: Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com>
Date: 11/24/2015  1:57 AM  (GMT-06:00)
To: TCLUG List <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Subject: [tclug-list] streaming videos to iPads from Linux server

I have some DVD ISOs on a Linux server.  To watch them on a PC, I'll just
use Samba to serve a file share.  That works great.

My kids have iPads, but it looks like the iPads don't natively work with
Samba.  So I'm looking for another way to do it.

I have VLC installed on the iPads.  Is there another protocol that can do
this?  Using Apache on the Linux server, I could connect by http to an
ISO, but that didn't really work -- no sound, no controls and very
jittery.

Any ideas?

Mike