http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Z97--DDR3-2600-Motherboards/dp/B00K2MAU5Q/ref=sr
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FASUS-Z97--DDR3-2600-Motherboards%2Fdp%2FB00K2MAU5Q%2Fref%3Dsr&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEmD2-9CnIfOZgAjZV3CqWD3_sAOA>
>> _1_38?ie=UTF8&qid=1422856362&
sr=8-38&keywords=m.2+ssd

>> isn't a server motherboard, but it has an m.2 slot.? I had been
>> thinking about this one
>

> This is one of those times I wish I could tell people "give me your
> budget +20% and I'll build you a server."

I haven't bought any hardware yet, but am still thinking
about it.  Years ago I built a system with help from a friend.
Since then I've watched some videos on how to assemble a
system.  I think I can install the power converter, motherboard,
memory and get some of the cables connected.  That leaves
the cpu, hard drive and some of the cables.  I can probably
figure out how to install the cpu and hard drive if I have to.
So that leaves a few cables that I think I'd need help with.

> Server-grade boards tend not to incorporate new tech as fast as
> desktop-grade. And I really don't think you need an m.2 slot. If it's a
> server I don't think you really need an SSD to boot from, anyway. SHHD,
> maybe, but a spinny-disk is just fine.

One reason to go with a spinny disk is they seem easier to
install.  I guess you use some sort of adapter when you
install an SSD.  SSDs seem to be working fine now so I
still hope to go that route.  I estimate that 80% of my file
operations will be reads.

> Supermicro are not a brand I trust, and they're really the only way you're
> getting a server-grade board for under $200 and still be somewhat current.
>
> A PSU is the ONE component you NEVER want to cheap-out on. Honestly when
> build a machine the PSU is one of the most expensive components if not THE
> single most expensive components.
>
> I've not put together an actual server build for under $1,500, by the way.
> Though I can easily do a desktop-acting-as-a-server for well under $1,000.
> All depends on what you need this machine to do.

I'm still saving for the system and deciding what components tp buy.
It might be late summer or fall before I buy anything.  I guess Sky Lake
will be available then.

--
Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - So far G-d has helped us.