On Mon, 11 May 2015, Linda Kateley wrote:

> I forget what the raid set was? 7+1?

It's two 3+1.

> No activity on it while it was rebuilding?

Minimal activity. I mean it was still online and shared via NFS, but
nothing was accessing it. About half-way through I got bored and did do
some read-access, and I noticed that didn't change the pace. There was
still minimal stuff and it kept going at about 80M/sec.

Funny thing is after the rebuild was complete I decided to do a
just-in-case scrub.

No activity, and that went from 70K/sec to 30K/sec. It's at 25% and says
it'll be another 83 hours... this is NOT a fast array.

I sometimes tell myself that if I throw ECC RAM in there it'll be faster,
but I don't think that's the bottleneck. I think these NAS drives are
built for reliability rather than speed. Sure, I've had to RMA two of them
so far, but hey.