So I have a need (nay, a want) to have a basic FreeRADIUS server that goes off an existing database and table layout whose task is simply geared towards authenticating VPN users.

I know I can have a custom database for FreeRADIUS but it’s a standalone one for the service.

Has anyone set this up? I’m running Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS and would prefer to have the job handled by an existing thin server behind my firewall, on my VM farm. The server I hope to put it on is running my syslog server for 5 different sites, a basic BIND service, has 512MB and 1 CPU core (off a Xeon E5-2630).

Am I hoping for too much? I would prefer to not have to write an additional hook into my user creation/authentication/management to update yet another database (I’m already doing two).

Thanks,
Ryan