Try running spin-rite on it.   If that works and fixes issues, make your backups.

From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org [mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of o1bigtenor
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2015 11:57 AM
To: TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: [tclug-list] System setup advice request

Greetings
I have a large system with a fair number of resources which has just come home from the hospital (computer) when I had a disk drive fail abruptly.
1.The tech tells me that the hard drive can be accessed. How do I do a low level transfer to another hard drive?
(This would mean that I would have empty sectors but there is some information that I would like to get.)
2. The drive was my 'operating system' drive. That meant that here is where I kept my 14 VirtualBox machines. (One was my business record keeping (accounting) and that is the one that I want real bad but its only 16 months of data so it can be redone but its painful!)
How do I set up the hard drive so that files can be moved to my RAID array (which should be just fine) - - - or should I?
Should I be setting up this drive as it was before but just looking for a way to do backups?
As I understand it operating systems on RAID isn't nice - - - or is it?
I am looking for something that doesn't crap out so completely. I understand I should have had backups but I wasn't able to get the shared folder stuff working so that I could seamlessly transfer stuff to my main array. That would also be a viable option if someone can tell me how to cudgel VirtualBox into submission.
Questions welcomed.
TIA
Dee

This communication, including any attachments, may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential or legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not a named addressee, you are hereby notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain a copy of or disseminate any portion of this communication without the consent of the sender and that doing so may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender via return e-mail and delete it from your system. In order to safeguard its employee data as well as sensitive patient, customer, business, legal and other information, the company uses all lawful means, under all applicable law, to access, monitor, preserve, collect and review all communications between employees and all other users only when, and to the extent necessary, to fulfill investigatory and other important business and legal responsibilities. By responding to this communication, or initiating additional communication with the company, you consent to such lawful monitoring, to the extent such consent is required and valid in your local area.