I'm not in the metro area, so not able to help that way, sorry :(

But, can't you CTRL+ALT+F2 (or F3, etc...) to get to a console and start working from there?

It sounds like an issue with Xorg (zooming, or bad resolution settings, etc...).  I'm assuming Ubuntu lets xorg automagicly detect devices, so
you might be able to create/edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and get it to a working state.  Try switching the display driver from your native
driver to a generic frame buffer, or svga driver.

The other issue that I've run into that's similar to this is grub2's framebuffer conflicting with Xorg.  I have a netbook here that I've loaded
Ubuntu derivatives on and it would boot up to a completely black screen.  I eventually dug through grub2's config and forced it to run in text
mode, and it magically fixed the screen.

Hope these ideas help.  Downgrading distros can be painful, and it would be best to avoid that if you could.