I have been using Ubuntu for over 4 years and it has been good. I was
running 14.10 on a Toshiba R835 P56X--until December. Then, there was a new
kernel, and something went badly wrong. Ubuntu seems to load, but what is
shown on my laptop's screen is, seemingly, only the center of what there
really is. The result is that there is nothing shown--or clickable--on the
left side with Unity, and nothing shown--or clickable--on the top.
(Shutdown is done by removal of the battery.)

I've done everything I could think of: tried recovery mode, tried earlier
versions, went onto the Ubuntu forums seeking their counsel, tried what
they suggested etc. It looks like, from what they said, I will have to
reinstall Ubuntu, and just hope that existing files (I don't have a lot)
will come across. The problem is that I don't have a live CD and can't seem
to create a USB stick on the Windows side of this Toshiba (it was
recommended that I go back to, and stick with 14.04 LTS).

So, HELP! I'll pay whatever's fair, up to about $100. And I'll bring the
computer to you, at a date and time convenient to you (I'm retired, so
pretty flexible as to timing). But I would like to have Ubuntu on this
computer, and, again, have it--usably--up and running. Is there anyone here
who can help me? Thanks in advance.

Wendell Bell
wendell dot bell--gmail dot com