On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 10:29 PM, Brian Wall <kc0iog at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 9:00 AM, Jeremy MountainJohnson
> <jeremy.mountainjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Will be interesting to see what they ultimately do when this gets released.
>
> I would guess that these are targeted as thin clients.  Instead of a
> small appliance that sites on/under a desk, it just plugs into the
> monitor.

I've seen these sorts of devices used as media player or digital
signage devices.  They've been around for a while, but the ones I've
used were severely underpowered. (and very cheap, even compared to
this)  They typically run some sort of Android OS, and the ones I
tried struggled to play back any sort of HD video content for any
significant amount of time.  If they're saying this can run a regular
Windows OS I would expect it may be more stable for media player or
signage tasks, too.
I also saw headlines about these referring to them as thumbdrives.
Anyone who buys one online thinking of that will be sorely
disappointed when they see how big they are compared to that.