Thanks for the links i've been reading for the last 4 hours. I am a very slow reader but I believe that at least part of the 'patch' so far at least on Mint 17 is:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    4 Dec 11 23:13 sh -> dash

See above symlinked sh to dash now not bash.

Thanks for responding and sending the links over.