On 01/05 01:43 , Linda Kateley wrote:
> So what linux do you use and why?

I started with Red Hat 5.1 back in November 1998. After a year or so tho,
all the Debian guys enticed me with how easy the Advanced Package Tool (APT)
made upgrades. RH had nothing like it until a few years later.

Also, Debian is a very community-oriented distro. (Or at least it was, I
don't know what it's like right now). Red Hat was in the business of
promoting Red Hat Software. So there were RH-specific tools that made it
easier to admin, but the knowledge didn't transfer to other distros. Also,
the Debian package-building process and software update process were
optimized for reducing the workload the community of developers had to do.
RH by the other hand had paid developers to put updated packages in their
distro repository, and this flavored the sort of packages one would find,
and also their update/release cycle rate.

Eventually all the Debian guys here at Real Time convinced the boss that
Debian really was easier to use, and after a little experimentation he
readily agreed that it was. So RTE became a Debian shop for several years.

The Ubuntu came out, and while I dislike the sound of the name, the fact
that it's Debian but with less ideology, a wider list of software that's
"not quite as Free", and some ease-of-installation features that make it
look friendly to newbies made me see the appeal of it.

When I bought my last desktop from QuietPC (http://www.quietpc.com/) it came
with Ubuntu installed, and I installed Ubuntu on my gf's computer and she's
fairly happy with it.

I taught SuSE administration for several years, just after Novell bought
them out. I learned to despise it very quickly. Even before the Novell
acquisition, SuSE always had some non-standard ways of doing things
(administration tools, filesystem layout). My main problem with SuSE these
days is that you pretty much need to decide at the beginning if you're going
to admin it by editing the config files, or if you're going to use their GUI
tools (YaST and YaST2). I've found that it tends to put related settings in
widely-dispersed config files, and only the GUI tool knows where all those
settings are.

So if like me, you're used to editing the configs (because Debian is
comparatively quite standards-compliant and doesn't have a lot of tools
peculiar to it, and would rather use tools designed to work on a lot of
different distros and just update/modify them for its needs), you'll hate
SuSE because things that you expect to make changes often won't have the
effect you desire until you either track down where all you need to make
changes, or you break down and use the GUI tool.

SuSE, to me, seems to suffer from the problem that Microsoft Windows has.
Namely, it's trying to be so easy to use and automagically do stuff for you,
that occasionally it automagically breaks itself and is opaque and hard to
administrate if you don't do what the developers of the admin tools had in
mind.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator