On 2015-01-05 13:43, Linda Kateley wrote:

> I always like a good joke, please share?
>
> I actually am in the process of picking a linux(for zol). I have always dug suse as a company, but ubuntu seems more practical.. redhat seems to have gone too commercial
>
> So what linux do you use and why

I've been using Fedora since Fedora Core 1. I started out with VA Linux
and then Red Hat before they split into RHEL and Fedora.

Some of the reasons I've liked Fedora is that I like to be running more
or less bleeding edge. I'm not sure how much that will change since they
have gone away from the two releases per year model.

It always seems to minimize issues with new RHEL releases at work since
I've already compiled everything with the latest gcc on fedora long
before that made its way to RHEL. Since they come from the same
ecosystem, I've had good luck getting work things (like Oracle Database)
to install on Fedora even though it only officially supports RHEL and
OEL.

I've actually grown to really like gnome 3 (with a good set of plug
ins). I pretty much expect things to just work like running virtual box
(stupid Windows for work) on one screen of a dual head set up. I have no
experience with Ubuntutu and their desktop thing. I run cinnamon on the
old laptop I use as HTPC.

If you want to play with the future, you can run Wayland out of the box
on F21. I have no idea how many other distros have that.

--
Kathryn Hogg
http://womensfooty.com