Perhaps a better string editing language than "sed" is Tcl. It will do
most any "glob" or "regex" string handling, and most anything else. The
Tcl array and list tools are worth learning.

I like using the text editor "nedit." Nedit has a nice "regex"
capability that is well documented. It has been very handy converting
large old programs that typically use short variable names, and easily
allows me to substitute much larger descriptive names. It has helped me
convert C programs to FreePascal, too. It comes with extensive syntax
highlighting language definitions pre-configured to provide many examples.

And I prefer doing it on a suSe 9.0 pro box running the 2.4 kernel using
an old wheel mouse. The wheel mouse allows me better sensitivity to
position the cursor between letters. The X window system is configured
manually for modern display monitors.

The system runs for months at a time and shows 3D macromolecule
animation for a screensaver.

I have a separate opensuse 12.2 box that does have the needed USB
interface for Arduino Uno. But it is rarely used. Mostly I use opensuse
11.3.

If my post makes little sense to most of you, likewise.