On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 2:32 PM, paul g <pj.world at hotmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Would this issue that Ryan was having with SpamAssassin be a legit bug
> report situation? Ryan obviously figured out the problem without the need
> to file a bug report and therefore was able to install the software.

Yes, since it is an opportunity to improve the software.

> 2. Now, if this is a legit bug report situation and Ryan had needed or
> wanted to file a bug report what would be the 'correct' avenue to do so
> would he start with the SpamAssassin development team or Ubuntu or Debian
> upstream maintainers?

Most likely Spam Assassin -- given that he was compiling, it is unlikely he
was compiling from Ubuntu-provided source code. Most of the time you
compile, you are doing so to get a newer version than what is provided by
your distro (or want to change the defaults). Even if it was provided by
Ubuntu/Debian, unless the error is due to a change made by Ubuntu/Debian,
why would you report the issue to them?

> This to me is a good question to learn on because it would help me in the
> future if I needed to file a bug report. Pointing to where best and most
> appropriate to 'ask the question/duplicate the situation' to the proper
> area. As far as bug reports are concerned.
>
> Thanks for taking your time to respond.
>
> Happy New Year [image: Emoji]

You report the bug to whomever created the bug, typically.