On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 11:33 AM, paul g <pj.world at hotmail.com> wrote:

> That is kinda really actually interesting. So how long if you file a
> proper bug report would it perhaps take to get into the hands of the
> programmer

With most open source projects, the bug reports go straight to the
interested devs.

> and then sent down the pike as patched as in a new package?

Depends on how much the programmers care, and how many people it impacts,
and how long it takes to code a fix. In some cases minutes, in some, the
bugs linger around for years because no one cares enough to devote the time
to fix it.

> I was reading that with Arch it can happen within a week. That's one thing
> about Debian as I have started to perhaps understand a little more is time
> it may take to get bugs fixed.

This is mostly due to the number of architectures Debian supports. The
fixes don't always take a long time, compiling and testing the fixes on
multiple architectures sometimes does.