Well, one problem here is Flash is a pretty terrible piece of software. If
you can at all avoid using it, I'd do that. Youtube is defaulting to HTML5
now, but that seems to be problematic on Linux.

Normally Firefox will absolutely let old versions of Flash run. When it
prevents them, it's usually because there was an actually serious flaw
found in the version you're running, which can occasionally be a fairly
recent one (see my previous point).

Now on Ubuntu I've never had this happen where an apt-get update &&
apt-get -u dist-upgrade didn't fix it. Not sure how fast debian responds
or if it has Flash in it's repos, but I'd just try that first.