Thanks.

FYI, CyanogenMod is available for the SPH-D710 model.
    <http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/D710_Info>

Says it will enable WiFi, and add features to better assure data privacy,
etc.
I think it also says that rooting is not required.

It says to turn off the phone and reboot "in download mode" before
installing, and again after.
  This not in the user manual, but is here
<http://wiki.rootzwiki.com/Samsung_Epic_4G_Touch>

I think I'm set now to get any other info,
   but I'd appreciate your comments on installing and using CyanogenMod.

Chuck