> very sluggish performance with Chrome on my U14.10: A page would scroll
> with huge lags, typing in the address bar would autocomplete so slowly that
> my keyboard typing order got totally dyslexic. So I did everything
> suggested: blew out the old config, deactivated all extensions, turned off
> sync. No dice. I finally uninstalled it and installed Chromium. That seemed
> to solve the problem! But just now I took a Chromium upgrade -- to "Version
> 40.0.2214.94 Ubuntu 14.10 (64-bit)" -- and the problems are back. I
> remember Chrome was on that 40.x when the problems first appeared.

my word for that is "bogged".  the onus is on you to narrow it down.  i
start with htop (tho top will do).  is memory so trashed that you're bogged
thrashing?  if so what's the memory hog?  or is it just the cpu that's
bogged?  what process(es)?  i usually sort by accumulated cpu, that usually
puts the suspects at the top.  ok, it's likely it was the browser, but you
want to know.  then you have to ask, what are you doing to the browser to
make it bog?  having lots of tabs open helps bog it.  but just one tab
might be doing it.  could be a horrible page, or a browser bug, or a
combination of the two.  frankly the bug this mosts reminds me of is in
firefox, when my mouse is within the area below the url box where the url
menu drops down when i type in the url box, then my typing is horribly
bogged, outright missing many characters i type, and/or entering them in
the wrong order.  i'm amazed this bug still remains in firefox for years.
of course it's not the only one tho..