Is this a flash drive or a spinny disk? if it is a spinny disk you can
extract the disk and attach it via SATA or PATA which will give you
access to lower level. Of course if the drive is not spinning up then
you are pretty much hosed. OnTrack does an awesome job of recovering
data from dead drives, they also cost an awesome amount. Conversations
with customers invariable come to something like this:

C: This is the most important data, it must be recovered at all costs.
Me: Ok, OnTrack says it will cost $10,000. Shall I tell them to proceed?
C: oh, it is not THAT important.

If, however, the drive spins up or spins up and then dies at some
point while accessing the data then gddrescue is the tool you want. It
will let you dd data off of the drives in chunks mapping out which
parts of the disk are unreachable.

Of course, if this is a flash disk then all bets are off and chances
are the data is toast.