Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 04:56:01 -060
From: tclug at freakzilla.com
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] The cleaner:

First - you see, Paul, you ask good questions, you get good answers.

SIMPLE SIMPLE TL;DR version: it's the scope of the network.

127.0.0.1/8 means "ok, 127.anything is local, so I don't need to look for
routes on how to get there."

Something like 192.168.100.20/24 says "Ok, anything on 192.168.100.* is on
the local network, so I don't need to find special ways to route that."
But (barring other network rules) if it sees, say, 192.168.101.*, it will
know it's an external network and try to figure out how to get there.

LONGER AND MORE COMPLEX BUT STILL INCREDIBLY SIMPLIFIED version:

You'll nitice an IP address (with IPv4 anyway) is divided into four
numbers. We'll use 192.168.100.20. Each of these is called an octet but
that's not important right now. Well, kinda.

Now obviously every machine directly on the internet needs an address, and
they had to be divided up somehow, and that's where subnets come in.

There are three different sizes (or classes) of subnets. Class A, the
biggest, is basically an entire subnet using the first octet. So, the
Class A Subnet of 192.168.100.20 is 192.0.0.0 - so everything starting
with 192.whatever. Since we're limited to numbers between 0 and 255, there
is a limited number of Class A subnets, and we'll just say it's 255 even
though it's not to keep it simple.

Now, the Class B subnet uses the first two octets, so in this case it's
192.168.0.0. So every Class A subnet has 255 Class B subnets in it.

Class C is 192.168.20.9, so every Class B has 255 Class C subnets.

And every Class C has 255 individual IP addresses in it (again, it's not
really 255 but we're keeping it simple).

(How these got divided among different organisations is a long and arduous
story. There are very few organisations that have a whole Class A to
themselves, slightly more that have Class Bs, and many more have Class Cs,
and a bunch of people share Class C subnets).

Now, that number you're seeing after the / indicates what portion of the
subnet an IP address is using. It's basically telling you the subnet mask,
which is like the "negative" of the subnet, and is used for routing. The
subnet mask for a Class A is 255.0.0.0, Class B is 255.255.0.0, and Class
C is 255.255.255.0. Since you're normally running on a Class C, most your
machines will have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Now in the-number-after-the-slash terms, that's /24. So rather than
saying:

IP Address 192.168.100.20 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, you can just say
192.168.100.20/24

Now NARROWER subnet masks are not something you'll be using at home. They
are used to divide networks up even more. For example, if you want to
divide a Class C in two, you'd set the netmask to 255.255.255.128, and in
/ terms thats /25. Divide it in four, so you have fur networks of 64 IP
addresses, and that's /26 (or 255.255.255.64).