On 12/7/2015 10:35 AM, Raymond Norton wrote:
> I'm getting pricing for Veeam to back up our VMWare hosts, but would
> like to avoid the licensing costs. Currently, I use Bacula for all user
> dat backups, but not sure if that is a good choice for backing up entire
> VMDK files of 40+ VMs
>
> Any recommendations?

Pay the money & get Veeam.  It's by far the best compared to any of the
open source solutions out there (I have used many) for VMWare.  Don't
monkey around with your livelihood.  Spend the money & do it right.

Open source backup solutions are fairly feature limited overall.  Even
the open source projects will make you pay for the good stuff they offer.

If you are using VMWare, then hands down you will not find a finer
backup solution than Veeam.

Backup locally, offsite, to a cloud storage situation, replication to
other vm hosts, dedup, compression, and easy to use.  They also offer a
free program called EndPoint protection.  Works great by itself, or you
can use it with your Veeam backup repo's.  A linux version is expected
to be released any day now too.