since firefox frequently grinds GINGERBREAD.UVLDG to a standstill, i want
to upgrade the OS on my galaxy sii sgh-t989.

i've tried both Benjamin-Dobell/Heimdall and jamiejackson/Heimdall, either
can examine the phone partitions, and both seem to go thru the motions of
flashing the recovery partition according to the linux end, but the phone
doesn't show any blue progress bar, instead shows "Firmware upgrade
encountered an issue" (clearable with "close-pc-screen").  i think my usb
cable is fine because adb push works and the pushed files' md5/sha1 are
fine.

so i guess my options are
  o  read into heimdall&fix it
  o  scour the house for that xp cd&install virtualbox/xp/odin
  o  find a root method that works via linux

the third option appeals, but the info i'm finding is a confusing array of
rather old or otherwise doubtable posts, not to mention nearly always
requiring windows.

thought i'd try posting here first.  any suggestions?