On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 4:37 PM, Brian Wood <woodbrian77 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > That whole project was a bit of an eyebrow-raiser for me.
> >
> > First, whyyyyyyy?
> >
> > Second, their funding campaign was ridiculous, from the goal to the
> > rewards to everything.
> >
> > Third, their specs were meh at best and their justification for them was
> > ridiculous ("Nobody wants really good specs anyway.")
> >
> > It's just another one of those things that makes me really think I should
> > switch away from Ubuntu before it's too late.
>
> A couple of years ago I put Ubuntu on two laptops.  I didn't like
> some of the defaults so I put Fedora on one of the laptops.  I really
> should put something else on the other one too.
>
> Really not trying to start a distro war (a.k.a. religious war) but here is
what I did.

Many years ago I started on RH 5.2 then 6 and then somewhere it was Fedora
Core
and later it became Fedora. Well - - - I switched away when I couldn't
update because
the repository address had changed. (Today that wouldn't be a biggie but
then I hadn't
yet learned how to do that.) Well what I got tired of was needing to change
the system
so often. I tried Debian (had a mentor in a LUG though) and liked the idea
of working for
a long time without having keep changing things. Still there although now I
use testing
rather than stable for my base systems.

I have been running Ubuntu because my wife likes more eye candy stuff and
can say
that Ubuntu really doesn't allow me to set things up the way I want them. I
have to be
and old fogey but I can still remember the slogan "computing for you - -
just the way
you want - - - microcomputers" - - - - rather than the mainframe systems
where you
had to do things the way the IT department wanted it. Well the IT
department now
runs all the micros and they still haven't figured out how to do things the
way I would
like them (they prefer change for changes sake along with eye candy and
plenty of
other bumpf) but I'm still working on running things my way.

Working on learning more calculus so that I can use the 3 GPU cards I have
in my box
for Monte Carlo analysis and that's looking like it will be a lot of
interesting when I
manage to get there. So much to do and so little time to do it in!

Dee