The open-zfs community has really found some really bad raid cards.
Because of checksumming we can tell when data is corrupted. The card
that are good are most of the lsi's. the 9211 for sata or I think it is
2308 for sas, use the version 18 of firmware, 19 and 20 have had
problems.. but stating with lsi is a good choice. The freenas community
recommends a IBM serverRAID M1015 flashed to the lsi 9211, you can get
these on ebay really cheap. Alot of other cards can be used if on the
freebsd 9.3 hardware compat list BUT, they have to be able to be used in
jbod mode. The dell perc's have been a very very difficult to me over
the years, but I just bought a new one to test the newer firmware
versions, but i wouldn't recommend those.

lk