I looked at RAID 6 (but for ESXi) and with that I had an additional $1200 cost.

I just purchased the SAS expander for my card and I’d rather not eat that (although $200 was far less than MSRP).

So if I go FreeNAS I should only be limited to the RAID controllers that have FreeBSD support, right?

The plan is to finish our off-site storage system, yes. The entire migration operation I’m working on will take months to complete so I have a little bit of time (and I have three RR2320s lying around) but I need to spend as little as possible at this point after dropping $2000 in drives last week.