I've got a (0.5G Mem) Compaq Presario (M2000) with Linux Mint loaded on it, but need assistance getting the wifi to work.  It's a Broadcom, and I've downloaded what I think is the required driver.  Does anyone know how to install a driver like this from the command line, or would otherwise know what to do?  Thank you.
Mark G.

 What other details do you
 have on the wifi device? Could you post
 chipset details of lspci output, or if usb,
 lsusb?

 Usually with the
 newer kernels they are adding drivers, not removing
 them, so unless Precise was using a wrapper
 with additional
 configuration or you
 installed some funky firmware to establish wifi
 connectivity previously, it should work.

 My bet is some firmware
 didn't get installed on your latest installs
 and it's likely a Broadcom wifi card since
 you mentioned an older
 laptop and are using
 some older kernel versions. If so, I'd look into
 getting the appropriate firmware to supplement
 the kernel drivers.

 Not an
 Ubuntu guy outside of the servers, but they probably have a
 gui
 you can search for firmware in.
 Isn't there one for drivers too?
 Assuming you can plug into Ethernet I
 suppose... Or use a thumb drive
 to transfer
 necessary packages over to the new install and use dpkg.

 --
 Jeremy
 MountainJohnson
 Jeremy.MountainJohnson at gmail.com

 On Sat, Oct
 11, 2014 at 12:31 AM, gregrwm <tclug1 at whitleymott.net>
 wrote:
 > i prepared a thumbdrive with
 grub and a selection of lubuntu iso's for easy
 > installing.  then tested in a free
 partition on a (dell inspiron) laptop.

 installed trusty.  no wifi.  installed precise.  no
 wifi.  but huh?!  this
 > laptop has
 been running precise for ages, and still is, not in the
 test
 > partition, and wifi works just
 fine there!  i installed it myself, ages ago,
 > and don't remember having to do
 anything odd or special.

 > can anyone drop me some clues how to make
 wifi work on the new installs, or
 > what
 to compare between the two partitions?

 Minnesota