I think Andrew summed it up right, no one is saying I must use ECC,
but I should use ECC. Also, my apologies, I missed your talk last
week, I was hoping to make it, but had something come up. Thank you
for sharing again.

Looking over the cost of it, I'd need a bit of time to budget for ECC
(I assume I'd need at least 8 gigs worth for zfs?), so that likely
won't happen anytime soon. Based on what I've gathered, I will
probably stick with a Linux software raid and my current backup scheme
until I can make the leap to ECC or more likely a new box with ECC
before jumping to zfs. I know even with a Linux software raid and no
ecc there are risks, however, correct me if I'm wrong, the risk of a
hosed raid over a zfs pool appears to be less (albeit I am getting
less data integrity overall)? A lot of linux software raid wikis
forums make no mention of ECC dependencies, which is interesting, as
the with the cosmic ray issue, it is a factor.

Linda, although I do off-site backups, I do worry about corruption
hitting those, fortunately my backup provider does do snapshots and I
utilize that feature :-)

I use ArchLinux, and actually stick with latest stable kernel and have
had lots of success with it running a software raid1 and serving up
Samba, nfs, https, and sftp. There is a zfs repository which stays up
to date for Arch, although I noticed zfs on linux only really gets
updated once a year, according to zfsonlinux.org

Also, I've played around with FreeNAS, it looks really cool and
pretty, however I like the minimalist approach I get with Arch and
setting everything up just the way I want it, and I've found security
patching and building from source to be very efficient.

FreeBSD itself would be an option, I've played with it before in
addition to FreeNAS, however that would be a another new thing to
learn as the syntax is occasionally different than Linux. It is on my
list of things to immerse myself in, whenever I get around to it :-)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone,
--
Jeremy MountainJohnson
Jeremy.MountainJohnson at gmail.com