Here's my $0.02 on home system design.  I'm very interested to hear
what others are using in SOHO production or lab environments.

I use an ASUS motherboard with an AMD FX-series CPU.  Many ASUS boards
support ECC, even if they don't exactly jump up and down about it.
This board would support up to 32G across it's four RAM slots:

>From my Microcenter 2012 receipt bundle:
SKU DESCRIPTION QUANTITY PRICE
870741 M5A97 R2.0 Socket AM3+ ATX AMD Motherboard $57.99
006759 FX 6300 Black Edition 3.5GHz Six-Core Socket AM3+ Boxed Processor $129.99

Sadly, the FX-series CPU line hasn't really advanced for a number of
years and, I gather, may not in the future.  The A-series CPU line /
APUs of AMD don't support ECC at this time.

Intel has unlocked ECC support lower in their CPU line than in the past:
http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced?ECCMemory=true&MarketSegment=DT

For example, the Pentium G1840 which supports up to 32G of ECC has a
box price of just $42.

That said, the cheapest ECC supporting motherboard that I know of for
Intel sockets is $168 :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182819

A comparable processor to the FX-6300 might be the i-4130 at $120:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/351/AMD_FX-Series_FX-6300_vs_Intel_Core_i3_i3-4130.html

So, the Intel solution is $290 and the AMD one is about $160 (current
prices, not the ones above).

In the context of a 32G RAM, 28T of drive space system, that's not
much.  In the context of a 4G RAM, 4T drive space system, it's a
noticeable fraction of the cost.

Thomas