On Wed, 19 Nov 2014, Joel Longanecker wrote:

> Can you play it in VLC?

Yes, but that has it's own set of problems (fullscreen doesn't actually go
fullscreen, audio downmixes to stereo, I'd have to re-setup LIRC, etc).

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014, Dan Armbrust wrote:

> It almost seems like your vdpau is not working correct / not installed
> correctly.  Maybe a package update clobbered part of it?

VDPAU is the only way this machine can play hidef video, and it works with
just about every other video. It's a very small number where this error
happens, but it is 100% consistent. I can play other hidef videos encoded
in (seemingly) the same format with no problem. I've compared the nvidia
and vdpau packages between both machines and they are the same versions,
too...