On 2014.11.19 10:29, Mark Goodell wrote:
> Thank you, Ryan.
>
> It's a several year old Compaq Presario M2000 (1/2 G Mem), on which I've
> got Ubuntu (12.04) loaded - though I'm unable to get the WIFI working).
> Ubuntu ver. 13.04 hangs when I try to load it.
>  I'm just attracted to BSD on principle, if, of course, there's a version small enough
> to work on this, and would otherwise be compatible.  (Much frustration with Ubuntu
> -- largely over the WIFI -- though I give it, along with Linux Mint,
> great credit for at least loading on this.)
Most wireless card vendors are very unhelpful (they don't release much, if any,
documentation), and there are not many people working on wireless in the BSDs
in general, so unless the card is Atheros- or Realtek- based, I wouldn't be too
hopeful. Any of the BSDs will definitely run on that kind of machine, but
between the lack of documentation from vendors, the lack of volunteers working
on wireless card drivers in FreeBSD, and OpenBSD completely rejecting binary
firmware blobs, wireless card support outside of Atheros is generally not good
on *BSD, unfortunately.