it works when the firmware-b43-installer package is installed, on either
precise or trusty.

when i first installed precise on this lappy last february i installed both
lubuntu and kubuntu simultaneously.  kubuntu includes
firmware-b43-installer, lubuntu doesn't.  if installing plain lubuntu,
adding firmware-b43-installer is needed.