Issue the following (following is a capture modified a bit...)

user at hostname:~$ sudo su -
[sudo] password for user:
root at hostname:~#
root at hostname:~# passwd
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
root at hostname:~#

If you want to be able to ssh/scp to a system as root you will need to
ensure the following is set in /etc/ssh/sshd_config (not recommended...)

PermitRootLogin yes

If you had to modify sshd_config you will need to restart SSH